Thursday 28 February 2008

Development of Character Boards

As the requirements for the brief are quite strict, and I can only use certain sizes, I have decided to plan out exactly what I want to show on them, before I start selecting sizes or experimenting visually.

To do this, I will take my lead from the quote requesting them:

‘Creation: storyboards succinctly showing the process of how you created the character’

So, from this, I can make three important observations about what the content should be:

1: I need to be very detailed, and included each stage of

2: my character development processes, as opposed to the storyboard of the animation

3: I should make the boards specific to my own development process, and highlight how I approached the task of creating a character personality, as opposed to just highlighting the different stages of the characters appearance.

Though I can’t find any past winners boards on the site to look at, I remember being shown some in class last year, on the FdA, and they were all very visually eye catching and pristine. I think it important to remember that this could be the first visual taste of my work that they will see, as the animation will be on disc. So, I think I should strive to find a balance between making it eye-catching (not just using squares on white), consistent with the design of my character and animation, and also ensure it looks professional and not too over the top of cluttered. A couple of ideas I have had regarding this are to have lots of images of my character in different positions holding up pieces of paper, or to use a background consistent with that of my animation (parchment), and sequined pattern from the characters body around the edges as a border. I will decide first however, what the content will be.

So, I think it important now to summarise what that process was for myself, now, in writing, and work from there to develop possible layouts, roughly planned out on paper, that I can begin work on the finished artefacts.

No comments: