Monday 5 November 2007

TUTORIAL WITH MIKE BLOW RE: PRESENTATION

Yesterday I discussed with Mike Blow my dilemma about how best to present my work. So far this project, as my idea has developed and changed, I have been working towards presenting it in different ways. At first I thought a website promoting my concept, then as I realised my concept would involve a piece of software to work with it, I decided I would create that piece of software (a look/feel of it anyway), developing the idea to consider creating pieces of software. I then decided It would be better to create a 3D model of my concept itself, but after a week trying to produce it, I decided it was better to abandon that idea, since my skills were not very good, and it made the concept look bad. Then I narrowed down my ideas, and decided again on just creating a flash ‘look/feel’ of the piece of software, but my problem is that I have such a vast amount of information to deliver ( I have created a 7 page proposal to print and hand in, explaining my concept in relation to all relevent factors such as disabilities, the environment, what countries it would sell in and why ect..) , that I think just clicking through the pages of a flash software application and describing the idea would end up hurting my concept, as I am not able to create a functioning piece of software, and if it is just a selection of look and feels, still images, like my concept image, then a power point presentation is my most obvious, logical choice so that I can really TALK about my conept. However, I want to be creative about the presentation. I have been working hard NOT to use power point, but it seem like it is the most logical and best idea, because predominately I just want to talk and ‘pitch’ my concept as a future product. I could use foam mount to display my images, but where to do so could be tricky, power point would let my just project them

Mike Blows comments were:

- To create a 3D model (physical not digital) Which I have already considered, but I explained that my photo shop mock-ups developed from this ended up looking a lot better than it would if I tried to sculpt a model.
- To invite questions about my product at the start. I replied I would rather do this at the end because I want to ‘pitch’ the idea as a product, and as the time is limited, I want to make sure I deliver all the information logically, and don’t have to repeat things.
- To envisage the audience as a sales pitch panel, and come in wearing a suit. I will definitely dress smartly, but I think a suit is a bit over the top.

Ultimately Mike agreed with my thinking that it was best for me to present my product by talking about it because I have such a clear idea of my concept, and to use power point to project the still images (I am still in the process of creating these).

I still think I might develop some sort of flyer to hand out promoting the concept as a product though, and maybe use the foam board idea to just hold up the relevant images. Then I could stand at the end of the room and face everyone at once.

1 comment:

lucyirving said...

Dissertation idea-

Perhaps research into the relationships between humans and emerging technology and how we seem to want to mimic human traits using technology (based on your 3D human hologram idea).

I would recommend reading Cyborg:The Man Machine (you can find the details on my blog) as there is a section in this about how humans have a tendency to “play God”, and make machines in their own image; not just in the way they look but also creating robots who can interact in a human-like manner.