Wednesday 28 November 2007

End of week one. Progress so far....

We're about a week and a day into the project, and I've got quite a bit of research and a range of conceptual ideas so far. I'm enjoying the theory side of it alot, and am going to spend the next week continuing to research anything interactive realted over the next week that interest me, perhaps arranging my research into categories...'web interaction'....'game interaction'.....'installation interaction'...'psychical interaction'..........'mental interaction'....ect, I have ideas that fall into all these categories, and I'm enjoying being open minded about where the project could go and brainstorming lot's of ideas. I think at the end of next week though, or in two weeks at least, I should start to focus on one conceptual idea, and begin to develop it.

Some of my research so far has included relating Chris Crawfords ideas on the threee key elements of conversation, 'listening', 'understanding', 'speaking', and asking ALICE about his ideas. She did not know. She also failed. She said she had a human IQ, but I tested her with a question from an actual IQ test, and she failed to comprehend the question. So, clearly ALICE does not fit in with CC's ideas as well as she is meant to.

This week I am also going to examine the idea of the forth wall and identify whether breaking it is actually a good thing or not. The microsoft paperclip in word does begin to break it, by confronting the user, and most people hate it. I am going to examine in whatcases NOT breaking through the forth wall could make the interactive experience better.

Ultimately, I am still most interested in creating some sort of interactive installation that does break the fourth wall, and plays around with the ideas of mental(or 'emotional') interaction and physical interaction. Howeve, I want to learn as much as I can about general interaction before I focuss on this task ,and give myself the option of going in another direction.

No comments: