Tuesday 27 November 2007

Digital Storytelling

So, this past week has been spent mainly researching and scribbling down rough ideas. Haven't really developed or stuck with any. Still got lot's of research leads and want to keep an open mind a little longer. I'm a bit confused too as to whether it's okay to develop a 'concept' or an interactive object/installation, and then create an animation to show how it would work, which is what I'd most like to do. Perhaps making the animation a bit like a powerpoint in the sense that you click to slide onto the next step of the animated explanation or something. If we have to create the fully finished object, then I won't be able to create a lot of my ideas as some are installations or would be v.expensive to buy the materials(like a touch screen pane!) so I would need to change the way I'm thinking a bit. Will ask tutors about that this week.


Sat up quite late last night doing the reading for today. Really enjoyed it. Found it really inspiring. Had hoped to do extra research to prepare for class and read up on some of the leads I picked out, but sadly don't have the time. I will look into them after class, they include:
William Burroughs,
James Joyce, and
Eastgate systems.
I really enjoyed 'Digital Storytelling' and am quite keen on the idea of exploring an 'old' medium, like a book, and turning it into a 'new' interactive medium in some sort of installation, somehow draining the persons mentally into the story, but also getting them to hold it physically. I did the idea generation exercises included, and they really opened my mind up. I recalled puzzle book I had as a child, similar to 'Where's Wally' but more complex, where the character could not proceed to the next page until you'd solved a problem for him/her. I'm going to dig them out if I still have them, and consider creating some sort of digital version of this, in a an animation, or the book idea I just mentioned. I think it might be quite fruitful to look at lot's of old mediums, and examine the 'schwerpunkt' of them, and then try and alter this or make it digitally interactive somehow.

Also, I really like the term ' fourth wall of interactive media' coined in the third text, and I like the type of interction it is referring to. I hope to create something that breaks through this wall.

No comments: