Thursday 29 November 2007

Discussion with Lucy Irving

I spoke with Lucy about my experiments with IQ testing the chatbot ALICE in reference to the Chris Crawford text, and she suggested that I look into 'The Chinese Room Argument', and 'The Turing Test'. The later is a way of measuring intelligence that I have looked at before, which I will do if I decide to create something that uses AI, or mental interaction, but will leave alone for the time being. The first I had not heard of, but after a little research discovered that it is abouit the computer being a tool in the mind, and the idea that they could one day think. Have only glanced at the article I found, but will read through it fully over the next week.

Also, we discussed the idea of getting together in a small group with others and having a mini-crit about our ideas sometime next week, maybe one lunch time or otherwise in class whenever it is possible. So, if your reading this and are interested...post a comment!

2 comments:

Colin Newman said...

Yeah, we need to trade ideas and help each other out with research that relates directly to what we want to do. So don't hide away - let's get the whole class to do it. Maybe on monday.

Claire said...

Could do. We were thinking about what Mike said about it being best in small groups, so you can get and give more thoughful feedback. I think it's good to have both- small groups, and big class tutor lead ones.