Thursday 6 December 2007

Cybernation to Interaction: A Contribution to an Archaeology of Interactivity

Doing reasearch for my dissertation, I came across a brilliant piece of text, called 'Cybernation to Interaction: A Contribution to an Archaeology of Interactivity, by media research Erkki Huhtamo. As the title may suggest, it is also of relevence to this project. It ties in really well with the text we just read as a group by David Marshall, and looks into where the roots of some existing theories about interactivity lie. I'm only halfway through so far, but found it gives a great explanation of the difference between "automatic machines" and "automation"(which later was given the new name of cybernation), and the ideas it discusses on this subject can be eaily applied to the idea of interactive media being about empowering the user. The term cybernation is an alteration of the word automation and it also comes from the idea of cybernetics. The reason for this change can best be summed up with a quote:


The demarcation line between mechanization and automation was never as clear as its spokesmen wanted to make one believe. This can be discerned even from Bagrit's scruples about using the word: "I am dissatisfied with it, because it implies aucornaticicy and automaticity implies mechanization, which in its turn implies unthinking, repetitive motion, and this . . . is the exact opposite ofautornati~n."~~Sit Bagrit preferred the word "cybernation," because "it deals with the theory of communications and control, which is what genuine automation really is."" The word "cybernation" had been used before-for example, by Donald N. Michael-to refer to "both auto- mation and computer^."^^ Although Michaei justified the use of the new word (derived from Norbert Wiener's concept cybernetics....



So, cybernation is basically about the idea of computers adapting themselves to human needs, rather than humans enslaving themselves to the computers.

The text is mainly relevent to my ideas on the dissertation which I am writing an essay plan for now, but I will be copying it over to my workbook for this project too, because I think it ties in really well with everything we've been discussing in class.
It also talks about Marshall McLuhans ideas on mechanization, so if that interest you, have a look at it!

I really recommend this text to anyone interested in interactive theory, particularily the ideas surrounding human/machine relationships, or mechanization in the industrial age! Brilliant read!

2 comments:

Colin Newman said...

I'd quite like to get back into Lost, but I've left it out in cold too long, I think.
I made through all of season one, and I think I let go of the series some time after Eko stared down the smoke monster thing. I just felt I was being teased, and I couldn't stand watching Jack being stubbly and conflicted, and Michelle Rodriguez being a sour faced crone.

But yeah - I'm quite into the idea of 'the ambiguous story' now. Are you into David Lynch movies at all?

Claire said...

I've been meaning to watch Mulholland Drive for a while now, but haven't gotten around to it yet. He likes to blut the lines between fantasy and reality doesn't he?

As for lost, I personally liked season two, but have to admit now most of the tailies aren't in it any longer it's much better. The Others get flashbacks in season three, and you get the impression that they themselves have 'others'.