Friday 4 January 2008

Opinions I have formed about interactivity that I want to convey in my final outcome

I think that in order to create a meaning full final outcome, I need to be clear about my aims. These will be to show what I have learnt and opinions formed that I consider most important about interactivity. So, in a nutshell:

Interactivity is something we engage in within every aspect of our lives, it is often perceived as computer/person relations, but in actual fact can be created in simple mundane tasks such as turning a tap on. It is not just physical either, enjoyable mental interaction is crucial to a satisfying interactive experience, and sometimes the user is not even aware of this. Computer games are hugely interactive mentally, and yet they are mostly seen as interactive because of the technology that they are created with. A physical game such as football is not really regarded as an interactive game in the same way, yet in actual fact it requires much more physical interaction, human interaction and possibly just as much if not more mental interaction.

People can interact with each other simply by having a conversation, and this is a very important part of human / human interaction. Early interactive machines that have led to digital media were created for the goal of aiding humans, not replacing them, and so perhaps we should see digital media as a tool for human/human interaction to improve, rather than try desperately to humanize the machine itself.

Control is also a big issue in terms of computer interaction. Many people see interactive applications as threats of manipulation, or cleverly disguised ploys to control people’s thoughts. True, interactive media is a tool can easily manipulated and abused, but it can also be liberating and unique in the experiences it offers. To me, the essence of good digital interaction is a balance of control between the author and the user, much like the shared power in a human-human conversation.

These are thoughts that I want to convey in my final piece, and so having now explained them as simply as possible, I will draw up a list of AIMS.

No comments: