Friday 4 January 2008

Choice of idea

After much consideration, I have decided to go with the idea I previously wrote of at the end of term, about a two person installation puzzle game. The deliverables will be:

1. An instruction manual on how to technically set the installation up, including price projections
2. An animation/interactive 3D area of how it might look
3. The flash game interface, but working with regular mouse or keyboard clicks for presentation purposes
4. And maybe a demo of a sensor activating a button to show I am capable of creating this, price/time dependant.

I have chosen this idea despite earlier doubts and dilemmas because in the time I have had over the past 2 weeks to step back from the project and come at it again from a fresh perspective, I have found myself able to visualize the creation of this one a lot more excitedly. A comment I read in ‘Simplicity: The art of Complexity’ about simplicity being not about simple processes or meanings, but more about the simplest way to get across a complex meaning, inspired me to think that this is something I should be applying to my own work. I have been in quandary somewhat recently about trying to decide exactly how complex or simple my final outcome, and have found re-evaluation my idea of ‘simple’ very useful. I need a clear meaning and a piece of work that tailors itself to this directive. I think that this is an idea that can do that, even if I am unable to fully create the installation. It is how well that my ideas shine through in the final outcome of my work that is important, not the complex simplicity of my practical deliverables. With that in mind, I think what is in order to do first is assess exactly what my most important discoveries about interactivity have been in this project, and list them as clearly and simply as possible. The aims of my piece will to be to convey these as simply as possible, in the most appropriate way.

No comments: