Wednesday 9 January 2008

Lots and lots and lots to do!!!

Okay, so to briefly summerize my progress for the past tw days- I have now finalised all the details of my installation, and created a proposal/guide to work from. I have also created the Flash interface, but need to get the timeout function to work correctly. I have pushed myself really hard to research as much technical set-up ifo as possible, going as far as to research average user heights for the screen display, floor panel size and overall material sizes required, how to dismantle a keyboard, how to map a keyboard encoder, how the installation will function ect, and I am happy that I have applied enough consideration to these issues. I now want to create illustrations depicting this, and translate my written info into a flash based slideshow. It will include these categories:

SYNOPSIS OF IDEA
AIMS BEHIND THE IDEA
CONCEPT IMAGES
LAYOUT OF THE INSTALLATION SPACE
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE SAMPLE INTERFACE BEING HANDED IN, AND THE INTERFACE AS IT WOULD BE IN A GALLERY
TECHNICAL SETUP AND SAFETY
CONNECTING THE PRESSURE SENSORS TO THE KEYBOARD
RIGGING THE PRESSURE MATS TO THE FLOOR TILES AND ENCASING THE WIRES
USERABILITY AND DISABILITY CONCERNS
REQUIRED EQUIPMENT AND COST OF SELECTED COMPONENTS OF THE INSTALLATION

I also had plans on a 3d animation of the space, but I am now not sure if this is needed, since my concept images will display this perfecty well, and I would rather devote my time to perfecting the flash interface.

I also need to log my construction progress into my work book, print and bind it, and write source pages for each item of research in my workbook detailing why it is relevent.

AND, I need to write the 500 words required by the brief

AND, I need to print out my blog enrtires from this project

AND, write a self evaluation and a contents page

4 comments:

Mike Blow said...

Hi Claire,

Sounds like you are getting on well!
OK here are a few technical tips.
You can get
pressure pads from Maplin


Then you need to link up the pressure mats to your computer via the hacked keyboard. Instructions here.

Basically all you do is take the circuit board out of the keyboard. Then find by trial and error which characters are generated when you attach wires between each of the contacts and ground. Then, solder your pressure mats to these contacts, and program flash to react to those characters (you may find ABC and D are not the most convenient).

Good luck! Let me know how you get on.

Mike

Claire said...

Thankyou, but I actually already wrote out instructions on how to do it. I found a website on hacking a keyboard for altering game control that really helped me. I have checked it against the article you linked to me, and I seem to have researched and written out correct directions.

DAN STONEMAN (DJ / Producer / Designer) said...

Hey Claire,

Thanks for your post! It's true, I have definitely set myself a demanding task, I think I will stick with designing just one of the products and propose that these concepts can be applied to other equipment.

Most of my research has been on treadmills (e.g. omni-directional treadmills) so I think concentrating on a new immersive / interactive treadmill would be the best route!

So are you going to propose the concept or actually do some hardware work e.g. hacking into your keyboard? Sounds cool, keep up the good work...

Claire said...

I wanted to do both. I built the Flash iterface so that once teh keyboard is hacked it will work, but I couldn't get my hands on a keyboard or afford all the pressure mats I needed, so I'm just going to test my interface out this week on different people and analyze how well the interface works / what needs improvement ect. I did research how to hack the interface though.