Thursday 8 May 2008

Dissertation Summary

I really enjoyed my dissertation!
I enjoyed researching it, thinking about it, writing it, editing it, formatting it and even referencing it.

The subject I explored was anthropomorhism. And no, I did not look at animals dressed up as humans!
What I did look at was how humanizing technology helps us to get to grips with how to use it and makes user experience more efficiant and enjoyable. I explored and learnt so many interesting facts about anthropomorhism that I had not known before, and considered social, religious and design perspectives on it's use in digital media. I think it's emergence in technology design is a truly exciting field, and really found the psychology between human-computer relations fascinating.

Based on my research, I developed the opinion that Interactive technology is inherently anthropomorphic in its existence due to the roots of its invention and its purpose of improving relationships between humans and technology.

Triggering anthropomorphic thinking is a key way of increasing understanding of new technological artefacts and soliciting interest in them, which can be of benefit to a wide range of people. Therefore, consideration of anthropomorphic forms ( which can present themselves both obviously or extremly subtley) when designing and developing interactive technologies is an important factor in ensuring that they are designed in the most functional and user-friendly way possible. These forms should be considered whether they are being purposefully implemented or not, as it is almost dangerously natural for humans to cognitively apply mental models and stereotypes to new situation, including new technologies in order to develop an understanding of them.

Not all cultures view the world in the same way. Different groups of people have conflicting positive or negative opinions regarding both anthropomorphism and the development of new technologies, and there are also many religous groups that can be offended by the use of anthropomorhism (though this was an area I tried to touch on as minimally as possible, as it is such a complex area in itself and begs the introduction of theomorphism which is a seperate are from what I wanted to discuss).

Anyhow, I think it is important for designers to consider their target audience when developing interactive technological designs, to ensure that they will be used in the most functional way possible, and therefore be well received by their target audiences, and considering anthropomorhic form is a great way to help with this.

No comments: